Ability360 Position Description
POSITION TITLE: Community Leadership Academy Coordinator
Summary: Recruit and organize people with disabilities to participate in the Arizona Community Leadership Academy. Provide local leadership and coordination of the Academy; assisting in teaching specific modules, and insuring that subject matter experts and people who have disabilities from the local community serve as guest speakers and presenters. Provide ongoing support and encouragement to Academy participants while working to insure they are incorporated into advocacy activities of the Center. Meet goals and objectives for the project as outlined in the contract with the Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)
Supervisor: VP of Advocacy
FSLA Status: Non-Exempt; 40 hours/week; benefits
• Market and promote the Arizona Community Leadership Academy on an ongoing basis with the goal of developing consumer-controlled cross-disability teams of participants.
• Coordinate Academy activities and efforts with the SILC.
• Assist in developing recruitment and training materials and participate in state-level Academy meetings and activities.
• Provide training and tools to assist Academy cohorts in effecting positive social change.
• Serve as a community liaison and point-of-contact for information-sharing and gathering related to state and local advocacy issues.
• Advocate with participants regarding systems and policy issues.
• Promote equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities to participate fully in all aspects of life in the community, including living independently.
• Advocate for the removal of myriad physical, social, architectural, and economic barriers.
• Promote the Independent Living Movement by educating the public regarding the philosophy and the identified needs of people with disabilities.
• Provide technical assistance on advocacy issues to community organizations and businesses.
• Utilize Social Media to communicate advocacy opportunities and issues.
Note: Personal life experience/history relevant to the position is acceptable as a substitute for education and/or work experiences
• 2+ years of advocacy experience.
• 2+ years of experience working with individuals with diverse disabilities.
• 1+ years of experience with community organizing related activities.
• Working knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
• Human services degree or related experience.
• Strong commitment to and understanding of principles of the Independent Living Philosophy, advocacy, and community organizing.
• Working knowledge of disability rights, cross-disability issues, and community resources.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Demonstrated skills in developing and delivering presentations to groups of varying numbers.
• Proficiency with MS Office (especially Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook), internet and social media.
DESIRED BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
• Understanding of diversity and ability to facilitate groups that reflect cultural competency.
• Personal experience with disability.
• Bilingual English/Spanish
Depends on experience
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK
Full-Time employees are required to hold a valid, non-expired Fingerprint Clearance card from the state of Arizona. Any employee hired who does not already possess this will be assisted in obtaining once employment has commenced.
Ability360 will abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that Ability360 take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.
Further, Ability360 will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of sexual preference, or any other protected status under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, the Age Discrimination and Employment Act, State Executive Order No. 75-5, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
To apply for this position, please email your COVER LETTER, RESUME and SALARY REQUIREMENTS to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Community Action Coordinator” in the subject line of your email.