Position: Swim Instructor
Starting Wage: DOE Seasonal, part time
Reports to: Nick Bright, Lead Lifeguard
Applications: Applications accepted until the position is filled.
To Apply: Email a résumé and current certificates to NickB@Ability360.org. Please reference “Ability360 Swim Instructor Position” in the subject line of your email.
Job Description: Responsible for planning, coordinating and teaching learn-to-swim and water safety courses. Swim Instructors must ensure the safety of the participants in the pool by taking preventative measures such as enforcing rules, recognizing and reacting quickly and efficiently to emergencies, and maintaining constant surveillance. Swim lessons must be appropriate and adaptive to ensure the best learning environment for the clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Presents professional appearance and attitude at all times, and maintains a high standard of customer service.
- Performs various maintenance and cleaning duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility.
- Be proficient in the use of all pool safety equipment.
- Ability to follow rules and regulations as assigned by supervisor.
- Prepares and maintains appropriate activity reports.
- Maintains appropriate communication with members and their guests.
- Communicate with supervisor with regards to any equipment needing repair or replacement.
- Plan and facilitate swim instruction for private or group lessons for parent/tot through adults.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Hours: Work schedule requires some flexibility and is dependent upon program needs and will include mornings, evenings and/or weekends.
* Please only apply if you can fulfill the schedule and time requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to be proactive and use independent judgment and initiative.
- Physical ability to perform the duties associated with this position.
- Exceptional ability to work cooperatively with others and create a positive, constructive relationship with staff and the general public.
- Act in a mature, polite and professional manner.
- Knowledge of proper planning and facilitation of swim lessons for all ages.
- Ability to adapt swim lessons quickly to fit the needs of the members.
- Possess strong swimming skills along with healthy lifestyle choices to stay fit to perform rescues.
Qualifications: Applicants are required to be certified through American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) or Starfish Swim Instructor (SSI). At least one year of swim instructor experience is required. Previous experience working with persons with disabilities is preferred.
A criminal background check will be conducted, but conviction is not an absolute bar to employment.
Working Conditions: Pressures and stress of the position include dealing with challenging situations, working outdoors for multiple hours in the summer and dealing with medical emergencies. This position may require the lifting of 20-50 pounds.
Ability360 is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and sustaining a work environment that is inclusive. Women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.