Healthy Teens, Healthy Communities is a comprehensive health and wellness program for teens with disabilities offering:
- Access to Personal Trainers, Exercise Physiologists, Nutritionists and Coaches
- Access to a Personalized Health, Wellness and Fitness Program
- Peer Support and Interaction
Healthy Teens, Healthy Communities focuses on teens with disabilities, providing a
welcoming environment to exercise with peers. Peer support will develop with the group classes and create opportunities to develop individualized programs to improve participant’s health and wellness.
Without the wellness skills needed to live well with their condition, people with disabilities often experience secondary health conditions such as pressure sores, increased drug and alcohol use and weight gain. Teens with disabilities are an underserved audience, as many youth programs fit the developmental stage of children 6-12 years old.
This program improves independence through:
- Goal Setting
- Nutrition Education
- Adapted Physical Activity
- Stress Reduction
- Knowledge of Community
- Opportunities for Social
Participants will complete quarterly health assessments to collect results and adapt initial plans as necessary.
Trainers will provide updated workouts for participants’ use at the Sports & Fitness Center and at home.
- One-on-one Personal Training Sessions
- Biweekly Age-specific Group and Sport Training Classes
- Summer Sport Camps